• pic1
  • pic2
  • pic3
  • pic4
  • pic5
  • pic6
  • pic7
  • pic8
  • pic9
  • pic10

Monday, May 21, 2012

More hellos, please.

Back home in Kentucky once again. 


Leaving Missouri tore me up. I snapped this photo of an intersection on Mizzou's campus on the day after I finished my schoolwork, which also happened to be the day before I started packing up all of my stuff to head home. That whole last week in Missouri was so painful. I just kept crying because I dreaded the pending goodbyes. I wish Missouri and Kentucky could be as close as those street signs make them look. 

Grad school is funny because, if you're in a two-year program like mine, you basically go straight from being a freshman to being a senior. Leaving Asbury was heart-wrenching for me, and the anticipation of moving to a new state by myself was also pretty miserable, but I looked forward to staying put for a while. I liked the idea of being at the beginning of something rather than the end.

But now I feel like I'm about to enter senior year again. And it came so soon. I'm looking at next year and anticipating more goodbyes. All the people I love there — and there are so many more than I ever expected — are people I'm going to say goodbye to.

Being home this week has been wonderful because I've gotten to catch up with some of my much missed home girlies. I started calling my high school friends that on this blog to differentiate between them and my college friends, a.k.a. school girlies. But almost none of my "home" girlies actually live at home anymore.

We all used to be within a 15-minute drive from each other, but now we're scattered — the farthest of us no closer than 15 hours from each other. 

Despite our scattered-ness, we're all excitedly gearing up for best friend Kristina's August wedding. She'll be the fourth of our little group of nine to get married since 2010, and after her wedding she'll be moving to Ohio. So I will savor this summer, the last one when she'll be just a three-block walk (or a 30-second drive) from my house.

When I had only one year left in college, I knew I was headed to grad school. That summer I visited Mizzou and VCU and UGA and UNC and WVU. I was making plans. Now with one year left in grad school, I have no idea what I'm doing afterward. All I know is that I hate the idea of moving again. But avoiding a move leaves me only two options: stay in Columbia or stay in Lexington. 

Many of my Columbia friends aren't planning to stay there longer than one more year anyway. A couple of my closest COMO friends won't even be there when I get back in August. And, as stated above, my home friends aren't exactly sticking around either. 

I have a feeling that both cities will feel the way Asbury's campus feels now. I've been back to Asbury a few times since leaving last May, and though I love seeing the friends who are still there, the vast majority of people I knew there are gone. It's simultaneously like: Oh, how I miss this place! and But where is everybody? 

At the end of senior year, our friend group wrote each other letters to be opened one year later. Abby kept them and early this month mailed us each envelopes full of year-old letters from our friends. And here's my confession: I haven't opened mine yet. I'm afraid that I can't handle how much more it will make me miss everyone. I already miss everyone so much.

I am experiencing what my mom calls "nice problems." My heart hurts because I love so many people and can't be with all of them. It hurts because I love so many places and can't be in all of them. I realize that these are, arguably, the best types of problems to have. What's far more sad is when people don't have other people to love at all. 

Still, I wish I could stop everyone from spreading any farther apart. It's like Charles Schulz said:
“Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say goodbye. I hate goodbyes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”
You and me both, Charles.

1 comment:

  1. It always felt extremely weird to be back at Asbury. You keep seeing all these places you love, and hope that someone you know will pop around the corner. But it hits you: the school moved on. But thankfully, God has kept me in touch with the ones I love the most (including you!) and blessed me in new ways even more than I thought before.
    You're not looking at a move...you're looking at a new start. And from what it sounds like, you've been blessed above and beyond with each step!
    Love you Kate!

    ReplyDelete

Please and thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...