• pic1
  • pic2
  • pic3
  • pic4
  • pic5
  • pic6
  • pic7
  • pic8
  • pic9
  • pic10

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Work it out.

Now that my legs are doing so much better, I've dusted off my old workout playlist and added some new songs in with my trusty faves. I want to keep adding, so if you have any faves, post them in the comments!




Warm-up/stretching:
"Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2
The opening notes and lyrics of this song are perfect: "I want to run / I want to hide / I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside..." Sing it, Bono.
Getting started:
"Trouble" by Pink
This song makes me feel like I'm about to wreak some havoc — in a good way. "If you see me comin' down the street, then you know it's time to go (go-o-o-o-o), 'cause here comes trouble..."
"Girl's Attractive" by Diamond Nights
I'm pretty sure I do not look attractive while working out, but this song makes me feel like I do. (And it makes me feel like I'm being watched, which is always good motivation to keep moving.)
"Obsession" by Sky Ferreira 
This song describes an incredibly dysfunctional relationship in a ridiculously catchy and oddly appealing way.  
Once you've hit your stride:
"Downtown Girl" by Hot Chelle Rae
"Her lips are red, and those hips are turnin' heads..." Or at least I like to think so.
"New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini
This is like a sunny day in song form. Actually — better yet — it's like a sunny afternoon following a rainy morning in song form
"F.N.T." by Semisonic
"I'm surprised that you've never been told before that you're lovely and you're perfect and that somebody wants you." Sweetest lyrics ever? Check.
"Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and the Machine 
This song makes you run like you're leaving something behind.
Once you start getting tired:
"Body Language" by Jesse McCartney feat. T-Pain
Sometimes when you get tired, you need just need somebody to remind you that, girl, that thing you got behind you is amazing. Also that you are banging like a speaker box.
"Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse
 I just like this song.
Once you feel like you're going to die:
"Stronger" by Britney Spears
Hear me out on this one. This is my all-time favorite workout song. The beat and the words are perfect. I always skip to this song when I see someone I know while working out and have to straighten up and press on.
"Gotta Get Through This" by Daniel Bedingfield
You know what's more painful than running? Unrequited love, y'all. And that's what this song is about. But it sounds like it's about running, so it's perfect for those moments when you could just collapse but aren't willing to give up.
"Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen
Queen will remind you that even when you think you hate running, you actually LOVE running!
"Holding Out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler
I've already written about my love for this song. Listening to it while working out takes it to a whole new level of awesome. 
Final strides/cool-down:
"Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis
I DON'T CARE IF IT'S CLICHÉ. This is the absolute best song to listen to while finishing a run. It's also my ringtone. 
What are your fave workout songs? 

5 comments:

  1. I just went for a run and could have used this playlist! I was trying to get a genius mix from a Mumford and Sons song and it just wasn't working out. I had to keep skipping and losing my rhythm, and *ugh*. Just wasn't doing well.

    Thanks for putting this up! can't wait to listen to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of most of these, so I'll have to check them out! I need to start getting into running myself soon.

    If it is not terribly rude or nosy, may I ask why you haven't been able to run for the past few years? You've mentioned it a few times & I'm curious. Please don't feel you need to give me an answer if it's too personal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Annie,

    I had chronic leg pain for several years following an overuse injury from running in 2004. I didn't get a clearer diagnosis than that until 2009 when a physical therapist realized that the problem was stemming from my back; the nerve that runs through my legs was basically being squished by misalignment in my spine. The pain has lessened greatly since I started seeing a chiropractor at the end of 2010.

    p.s. You are in no way being rude or nosy to ask that! I think I should probably put an explanation somewhere on this blog because others have asked, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just listened to this whole playlist while making and eating dinner. it was marvelous. downtown girl may be my favorite. although it's a little inappropriate...but whatevs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect work out playlist! I'm obsessed w/ editing mine and I will definitely be adding some of your suggestions. I love the reasoning behind each one, also. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Please and thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...