• pic1
  • pic2
  • pic3
  • pic4
  • pic5
  • pic6
  • pic7
  • pic8
  • pic9
  • pic10

Thursday, December 29, 2011

BLAH BLAH BLAH ROFL BRB

Came across these illustrations by Graham Roumieu in the newest Real Simple.
(I've been saying that a lot lately, huh?)


They sort of reminded me of myself. Oops. 


Communication theorists like to talk about self-disclosure a lot. They talk about what causes people to self-disclose, what causes people not to self-disclose, why some people self-disclose more than others, etc. In general, self-disclosure is reciprocal. People self-disclose back and forth like they're playing ping pong. The internet changes everything, though. You can sort of self-disclose to no end, whether or not there's someone on the other side self-disclosing in response.

Sometimes when I read my own blog posts, especially old ones that I've forgotten writing, I am startled by how much I've self-disclosed. So many of my thoughts are just on the internet. For the world

(Not that many people are reading this blog, obvs. But some people are. You, for example.)

All this to say, I'm not exactly sure how much online self-disclosure is too much. If you know, clue me in. I aim to stop short of too much, but I know that sometimes I probably sprint right past it. In those instances, please know that I'm learning.

And in return for your understanding, I promise not to tell you about the time I threw up on the school bus in third grade. (It was not one of my most elegant moments.)

1 comment:

  1. What are some, uh, self-disclosures you are surprised to find in your old posts?

    And where was I when you threw up on the bus? I applaud you for doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Please and thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...