• pic1
  • pic2
  • pic3
  • pic4
  • pic5
  • pic6
  • pic7
  • pic8
  • pic9
  • pic10

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pocket full of Bieber

"I just want to put Justin Bieber in my pocket," Anna said yesterday.
I felt she had captured my sentiments toward him perfectly.


You see, I have a long history of swooning over celebs...

As a 9-year-old, I could profess my love for 23-year-old BSB Brian Littrell.
At 14, I could fall for 24-year-old Clay Aiken and 25-year-old Shane West.
At 19, I didn't feel creepy about loving 17-year-old David Archuleta.
And at 20, I had few qualms about drooling over 18-year-old Taylor Lautner.

But enough is enough.
At nearly 22, I simply cannot find myself crushing on a 17-year-old.
Even one as totes adorbs as Justin Bieber.


I always knew this day would come — the day when crushable celebrities started to be too young for me. And I think I feared that all the fun and excitement that obsessions can offer would somehow dwindle out as well.

But I am finding that I'm simply able to love Justin in a different way — a way that kind of makes me want to
pinch his cheeks
and make him a sandwich
and, yes, put him in my pocket.

As I watched Never Say Never last weekend, I found myself experiencing concern for his well-being. I know. All these years I've been trying to figure out when I'd know I was a grown-up. I figured I'd know when I started paying all my own bills or when I started living by myself or when I got a real job.

But perhaps I realized I was a grown-up as I watched Justin Bieber singing onstage in the movie. There he was, being screamed for by a thousand teenage girls. And there I was, identifying not with the girls but with the moms who'd brought them to the concerts.

Baby Bieber. Not even kidding.

All this said, I'm still obsessed with him. I still bop around my room to his music on a near-daily basis. I still waste time watching videos of him on YouTube. (I got a kick out of this one in particular.) I still find myself in awe of his incredible voice (and dance moves). I still can't wait for his next CD to come out. But this popstar-obsessing all feels a little different than it once did.

If you asked me, though, if I might ever have a crush on him in the future,
you know, when he's gotten a little bit older and taller,
and when his voice is deeper and he's finally in his twenties,

I'd say,
Never say never.

7 comments:

  1. I'll admit, I tried really hard to resist his charms.

    But I can't, I've definitely got Bieber Fever.

    And I totally understand you--for so long all the celebrities were older than me and I was reading Teen Vogue in peace, and now I'm older than everyone--at 20! What? When did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. You are adorable. And fantastic. Your Beiber-pun at the end make me LOL for reals. And I agree: even if he's too young to crush on, he's too totes adorbs to ignore. Famous people are so little now! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG63XyitP20

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh! That video is so funny. I hadn't seen it.

    "I don't know whether I want to marry him or put him in a stroller and push him around the mall..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to really catch Bieber, but I feel it might be in my future... we shall see. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's so cute I want to eat him sometimes. I wish I was young enough to have a crush on him because he's totally adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Please and thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...